It is about time, late even, that I plan my garden to start this spring. This has only been made all the more difficult after a swap-meet event I held where one of the women brought and amazing array of seeds…that I must use. Here are my vague plans:
- New Garden Beds – Since we have moved into a new house, there is A LOT of work to be done. We will be making new flower and vegetable beds which means lots of digging.
- Recycling Old, Meaningful Materials – I am extremely excited to erect the same arch that was the backdrop in our wedding as a trellis in our garden and the old garden bed from our old rental is already in the ground (with garlic planted in it no less)!
- FLOWERS –
- My local Ladies’ Library held a fundraiser in which they were selling flower bulbs….so I bought a MILLION irises and tulips. I planted them in the front yard in the fall, but the warm-to-freezing weather may be harming the little sports too much for this year.
- Furthermore, after the fundraising order, I ordered dahlia tubers and a few “pollinator blend” seed mats.
- And sunflowers. There will be lots of sunflowers 🌻
- Birds, Bees, and Bats – THE BIRD FEEDER IS HANGING OUTSIDE MY FAVORITE WINDOW! I also intend to add bird/bee baths in the front as well as a bat house in the backyard!
- Chickens?! – If you know me, you know I want my own flock of egg layers. Hopefully this spring we can get a coop together and later use chicken poo in composting!
- Miscellaneous –
- I want to incorporate hops in some way. For the look, not the functionality. In case you were wondering
- This is the year I start a peach tree. Maybe on 5-10 years I get a peach!
- Pizza Oven? Idk, this is a three year goal.
Well enough dumping, are you planning a garden this year? What are you planting?